Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Barcelona

22.August.2007 - 25.August.2007

I only spent three days there, but Barcelona is probably my favorite city in Spain, and one of my favorites in Europe.

La Sagrada Família was the most impressive thing that I have ever seen. It is simply incredible, awesome, amazing, just stunning. Wow. Moreover, it's not complete. Started in the 1890s, it's not predicted to be finished for another 30-50 years. Gaudí's Nativity facade is unbelievably beautiful. The intricacy, the detail, the novelty! As I stared up, transfixed, I could not stop smiling, just stupidly smiling, it was so unreal, so magnificent. Although not in keeping with Gaudí's Modernisme (Art Nouveau/Surrealism) plans, Subirachs' Passion facade is also striking, wonderful.

Gaudí's Casa Batlló and Park Güell were also thoroughly enjoyable.

I spent two mornings on the beach, fantastic, two days soaking in the most intoxicatingly vibrant, colorful, infectiously upbeat and jubilant atmosphere imaginable, fantastic, and two nights partying until 5am, fantastic.

The city was overrun with tourists, but the Spanish, the Catalan, presence was always there, raging.

Although not my own, I love the Roma/gypsy style that the Spanish have, ubiquitous throughout the country but perfected in Barcelona.

I checked out the avant garde Fundacio Miro, a museum/gallery dedicated to the Barcelona artist Joan Miro, which houses his and many other younger artists' highly experimental works. Not my cup of tea, but a worthwhile visit.

I visited the Picasso Museum. His most famous pieces hang in the Reina Sofia and other such elite galleries around the world, but the museum in Barcelona presents a life-spanning overview of his works. Starting with teenage sketches, the museum moves through all stages/movements of his artistic life, really giving a detailed summary of the artist and his repertoire. I knew only The Old Guitarist from his blue period and his cubist stuff, so I was able to see completely new sides of him. It was enlightening.

Incredible, incredible city. Go to Barcelona!

No comments: