Friday, August 31, 2007

Mask of Agamemnon (16 cent. B.C.)

Yesterday I went to the Archaelogical Museum. Very interesting. I usually skip such museums, but I figured that if I went to one anywhere outside of Greece, much of its collection would just be imported from here, so why not go straight to the source. I saw an incredible amount of sculptures, jewelry, pottery... All visualy impressive, but simply amazing when you look at the dates and realize that everything is 2000+ years old. Puts things in perspective. Memento mori...

The best part of the museum was the price though. I lost my student ID with my wallet back in Beijing, but I have a 'Fortbildungsausweis' (outside training ID) from my summer in Germany. The ID doesn't have a picture, but it lists my info and although its not technically a student ID card, it functioned as one for me in Germany. I just had to say that the training, the internship, was mandatory for my study in the US and I could usually get by. The problem is that the card expired when I left Germany, and the expiration date is listed plainly on the card. The card is all in German though, so I have been able to use it throughout my travels in Europe, as people generally can't read it, and most of the time they don't care anyway, they get paid the same whether or not they sell me the adult or the student ticket... Anyways, so two days ago I tried to use the card for the Acropolis, for half price off admission. I was rejected twice. Once, the guy said it was expired, which is true, but come on... The second time, the person said that it didn't have a picture and told me that he couldn't read it and it didn't look like a student card. I was pretty pissed, as this was the first place that I had been denied a student discount, but I ultimately figured that 12 euros was not a ridiculous amount to ask to visit the foundations of Western Society. I begrudgingly paid.

Yesterday though, I went to the museum and tryed to get a student discount: regular admission was 7 euros, the student price was 3. Based on my performance the day before I wasn't too confident in my chances, but I decided that it was worth a shot. I told her " 1 student" and she asked for my ID card. I handed her my German one and she looked at it and asked where it was from. I told her "Germany" and she said that it was free for me. EU students got in free! Awesome....

Last night I watched the sunset from atop the Acropolis. Beautiful.

Cool, I'm going to the beach...

2 comments:

Drew said...

i still get student discounts because when you work at a school, you have an id that looks just like a student id. who knows how much more i'd have paid in theater admission, etc

Matty said...

Matt... tengo la vida para leer todo lo que has escrito y que no he chequeado... wow... espero que para cuando te visite en houston ya haya leido todo ;) jejeje
te quiero coSSa hermosa... fue chévere tenerte de vuelta! Te veo pronto!